The Dangers of Cyberbullying

This is my first vlog! Today, we’re talking about cyberbullying.

References

Affairs (ASPA), A. S. for P. (2019, September 24). Tips for Teachers. StopBullying.gov. https://www.stopbullying.gov/cyberbullying/tips-for-teachers

Ben-Joseph, E. P. (2022, August). Cyberbullying (for Teens) – Nemours KidsHealth. Kidshealth.org. https://kidshealth.org/en/teens/cyberbullying.html#:~:text=Cyberbullying%20is%20the%20use%20of

Erin Wilkey . (2019, March 25). Teachers’ Essential Guide to Cyberbullying Prevention. Common Sense Education; Common Sense Education. https://www.commonsense.org/education/articles/teachers-essential-guide-to-cyberbullying-prevention

Lance, M. (2024, January 16). Discover the Fascinating History of the Internet with This Lesson Presentation. SlidesCarnival. https://www.slidescarnival.com/design/history-of-the-internet/117186

TELUS. (2020). TELUS | Dark Cloud: the high cost of cyberbullying. In YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrnoElVEUTA

5 thoughts on “The Dangers of Cyberbullying

1. kayleeschwenk2 says:

Hey Alba!
    I really enjoyed your vlog. I loved the PowerPoint you chose to go along with it. It was really entertaining to watch and understand with the presentation behind you. I appreciate how you didn’t read everything off the slides but used it more as a guide to help you throughout your vlog. Nicely done! I also talked about cyberbullying in my vlog. I agree that cyberbullying can really affect someone’s mental health. I also appreciate how aware you are of the responsbilities we have as teachers ensuring a safe and inclusive learning environment for all students, even outside of the classroom. I also spoke about the activities and lessons the article gave for teachers to use in the classroom. Do you think these were helpful or do you have any other ideas to talk about cyberbullying in your classroom besides the ones the article mentioned? Also, do you think cyberbullying will increase in today’s society? I believe that more children are getting access to the internet and social media that it unfortunately is going to be around forever but we as teachers should educate these children on how to use the internet safely. Overall, you did a really great job and I enjoyed listening to your vlog!!

2. nallelyvl says:

Hi Alba,
    I really liked your presentation! I liked how you gave clear definitions of what cyberbullying means. Also, how you mentioned what apps and social media applications can be used for this. I also liked the slideshow that you used. I think it really helps the watcher grasp the idea better. I also like that the slideshow had a big font rather than a small font. It makes it easier to read it. I agree that as educators we should be taking this topic seriously and know how to deal with this when we encounter this. One question I have is, do you think that we will ever get rid of cyberbullying? Based on the film and these articles, will it ever go away? In general, I really liked your blog post and found it very informative and I think others will as well. One last thing is, how could you have expressed this topic even more so that people truly stop this? Not that you did not already do this. You did a perfect job at explaining it. I am saying this so that this issue is even more and more clear to people who are doing this. To show them even more that this is not correct and they are creating even more damage to a person that sadly leads to these unfortunate deaths!

3. maylenc says:

Hi Alba! I truly enjoyed watching your vlog post for this week and hearing about your perspective on this important issue. Personally, I feel that the strongest part of your work was how well you were able to organize your main ideas regarding each of the resources we had to utilize, and how you were then able to expand on these thoughts. You bring up incredibly important points such as why cyberbullying is so damaging for the younger generation, and the ways in which you plan to address this with your students, going on to say that you would like to tie it into your curriculum. Tying the idea of cyberbullying into our last module’s topic, I wonder if perhaps this new form of bullying is at the root of modern occurrences of school violence? As you mentioned, this bullying is ongoing, 24/7, and this can severely affect students and their mental health, perhaps leading them to lash out at school and develop violent tendencies. I’d like to ask if perhaps you considered this idea, and how may you intervene with the student to address these issues before they escalate to the point we saw in last week’s module. Lastly, I know you touched upon your personal experiences with witnessing cyberbullying online, but one suggestion for your blog would be to further delve into how the documentary impacted you and what you personally took away or connected to. Overall, great first vlog!

4. Malia Savage says:

Hello Alba
    Your presentation was excellent! I appreciated how you defined cyberbullying precisely. Additionally, I liked how you described the social media and app applications that can be used for this. The slideshow you utilized was appealing to me as well. I believe it greatly aids in the viewer’s understanding of the concept. I concur that educators ought to treat this subject seriously and be prepared to handle it when it arises. I also talked about how in the video, Dark Cloud: The high Cost of cyberbullying, I was surprised to see the fact that students who experience cyberbullying frequently experience mental health issues struck me the most. Due to the fact that cyberbullying is far more hazardous than traditional bullying and occurs around-the-clock, students who become victims of it are more likely to damage themselves or even take their own lives. I truly wonder if we’ll ever be able to fully retract cyberbullying from our school systems since the effect of mass media has become so present. All we can do is make sure it doesn’t happen in our classrooms and start there.

5. mrohr says:

Hi Alba! Your presentation looks great! I really like how you formatted your vlog, it was very organized and clear. I definitely agree with that cyberbullying is a more recent issue and that things are changing very quickly. So quickly that it is hard to keep track of how many ways a person can be contacted via the internet. Another point that I agree with is teaching students and children in general that you are not just talking to a screen and that there is another person on the other end. I also discussed cyberbullying and self-reflection was mentioned in one of the articles I had found as well. It is important for students to realize that what they say can hurt another person, even if they are not seeing it happen or do not know the person they are replying to or leaving comments for. A final point, I also agree that as educators we do have a responsibility in teaching our students about cyberbullying and how to safely navigate the internet. While this should also be worked on with the parents at home, teachers often are with the students much longer than the parents may be by the end of the day, so teachers have the most opportunity and resources to be able to discuss this subject. Overall your presentation was very well done and you made some really good points!